Subject: Re: [Leica] Shell news
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:23:43 -0400

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:42:14 -0500
> From: "Jeffery L. Smith" <jsmith@dcc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Shell news
>
> I read that as meaning that, in Roanoke, Bob may be seen as a soft-core
> cheesecake photographer instead of an internationally recognized
> photographer and editor, and a good photographer despite his
> often-criticized genre.

Well, Bob Shell may be internationally recognized, but his stuff looks like soft-core cheesecake to me.  But that's a side issue.  He either is criminally responsible to some degree for the death of this woman, or he is not.  I'm not sure that Marc is suggesting that his celebrity should be modifying the zeal with which this case is prosecuted or not.

This is a distressing subject (particularly to the soon-to-be former Mrs. Shell), so I am not trying to start a flame war or get out of line in any way.  I am very conscious that we are dealing with a real human tragedy.  At least one other photography newsgroup has suppressed all discussion of this topic.  Perhaps I am out of line in encouraging Bob Shell's defence counsel to discuss his case in a public forum.  If so, I apologize, and will understand if prudence forbids Marc James Small from discussing this further.

Mark