Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Baby Rollei Advice
From: mak@teleport.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

Buy it they are a ton f fun and produce great images...unless of course auction mania takes over. They are just like any other Rollei in sound smell feel etc. If you get a chance play with a larger Rollei or other leaf shutter camera. CLAs are readily available (I used Camera Solutions in Portland for mine they do a great job)

As a buyer you need to know the camera will not shoot if the hood is not opened (stupid design) MANY MANY MANY a broken Grey Baby has been fixed by opening the hood.

As a buyer you might wonder aloud where to find 127 film...if you are comfortable with such things...

As far as film availability is concerned, I get Efke (repacked by my insanely creative wife as Chromazone...I also import 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 and other odd films) in bulk 100-300 wrapped unboxed rolls at a time and ALMOST always have some for sale and on ebay.

Macrophoto is SUPPOSED to be offering a C41 emulsion and E6 in Europe. I would guess Tura or the old 3M plant in Italy is the source for the C41 (same as Solaris 126). I have not tried it yet as I have a freezer of Kodacolor 200 (sorry not enough to sell)

Blue Moon Camera and Machine is set up for processing 127 film.  (503 978 0333 they also sell Efke and Solaris 126 and lots of Leica stuff). As a test I tossed a roll of Kodacolor 200 in a Kodak Mailer a few weeks ago and sent it to Kodak in NJ...PO Box 7000 Fairlawn NJ 07410 to my surpirse and delight prints arrived in a week or so...Compleat Photographer in Astoria has a freezer full of odd film sizes including 127 E6 (116 616 620 110 E6 etc etc etc) but he tends to want perhaps $10+ per roll...that said he is a great guy and the few rolls I have bought have been good. Should you need spools and paper to roll yer own you might try Blue Moon or Mike at Hollywood Camera in Portland.

Baby Rolleis came in 3 flavors, Black (old), Grey (common and cool) and Black (newest and quite rare)

I am sure fellow lister Mac James Small can give full details...suffice to say as with all cameras I am more a shooter than a collector and once I had a couple working Grey Baby Rolleis and a sufficient stock and source for film...I was happy

The standard Hove Rollei books both have chapters on the Baby Rolleis as well as several web sites.

If it goes for a reasonable shape and works go for it!

> Sorry for the OT, but I saw Mark's offer of 127 film FS, so...

There's a local auction I'm planning to attend tomorrow in which a "Rollie

4x4" will be for sale, which I believe to be the same as a Baby
Rollei.  (?)  It's supposed to be in decent shape, and I'll have the
chance
to play with it, check the lenses, hear how the shutter sounds, etc,
before
bidding.

I don't know much about these, and I haven't found much info on the web,
and very few for sale.  Any advice as to what it might be worth or
anything
specific to this camera that I should check?  Also, I see B&H sells some
C41 and E6 film...does that mean there are still commercial places that
will develop 127?  I'd been assuming I'd be restricted to B&W at home.

Thanks,
Aaron