Subject: [Leica] Slide mounts/scanner feeders/workflow
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:05:41 -0700

Wha wha wha WHAT!?  Can you imagine how long it would take to re-mount that
many slides?

Whether it makes sense to do that depends on your workflow.  I have gotten
to the point where I don't like dealing with the physical slides.  I
generally scan everything that makes it through my first (coarse) edit at
the equivalent of 6 megapixels, and save them as TIFFs.  From these, I make
another edit of images that will go into my catalog.  The catalog images are
re-scanned at 4000dpi (max for the LS-4000), the original slides are placed
in standard plastic sleeves, and these go into the file.  All the TIFFs from
both edits are burned onto DVD in duplicate.  One copy stays in the office,
one copy goes to the bank.  The TIFFs are also kept 'online' on firewire
hard drives for quick access.

I end up scanning alot of images, so the feeder jams are a real pain.  I
suppose if you only scanned your catalog stuff, feeder jams would be less of
an issue.  Remounting slides in Gepe mounts would be feasible in this case.
Slides that make it to the catalog are scanned at high res, with
multisampling, and manually-set focus, so a feeder isn't really important at
all.

I just picked up a Canon 10D and I am stunned by the implications this
camera has for my workflow.  It will allow me to spend alot more time
drumming up business and making images.  Already, I'm thinking of dumping
all my gear except for a small M kit and a pair of Canon digi SLRs.  Even
though a 1Ds will cost $7500, I will save money and time in the long run.

- --Jim