Subject: RE: [Leica] Slide mounts/scanner feeders/workflow
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:56:49 -0400

Nathan,

I don't think that I managed to say quite what I meant.  I know that
film will be around, and I know that I'll continue to use it, but it is
perfectly clear that digital has significant advantages over film, and I
can see how *I* might benefit from these advantages; the shop in
Williamsburg where I have my film developed--a first rate lab--closed
recently.  At present, I'm not sure what I'm going to do--the
alternatives are so bad that I won't risk my negatives with them. I know
that I can process the stuff myself, but that's never been especially my
thing (and I've never attempted the C-22 chemistry).  I confront now
having to send film off to mail order labs, which I see as something of
a pain.

And, like you, my present collection of gear represents three decades of
buying, selling, trading, what have you.  All of it is "well loved," so
to speak, and, like you, I have never considered it an "investment" in
any sense; I own it because it helps me to capture the images that move
me.

Still, I can see now that the hybrid film/digital workflow is a kludge
in many respects, and it is, and has been, fascinating to see over the
past several years how digital has infiltrated and finally captured
significant elements of the LUG.

I intended my comment about Tina and the "death knell" of professionals
talking about the M to be tongue-in-cheek, but when one reflects that
for as long as I've been on this list, Tina has been a sort of "goddess"
of the Leica (I mean this in good humor and without irony) then it
strikes me as a noteworthy moment that she's announced her, dare I say
it, defection; or perhaps I can put it another way.  If the LUG once
worshiped a pantheon, we are moving quite rapidly toward monotheism.

Chandos