Subject: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: "caliguri@rcn.com" <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:24:53 -0400

Sure - and they'l die of coronary heart disease and stroke before most
people, while they sit at their computers eating this crap (save K.K.
Donuts ONCE in a while!), fine tuning their images for days.
      I just got back from observing a Digital Photo class aimed at
beginers to intermediates (some were computer folks who wrote
HTML, C++ Java script and all - the woman out of MIT's Lincoln Lab) but
wanted to learn the photo end of the job. Interestingly, of the 10
students and instructor, I was the ONLY male. Strange .. but I'm here to
observe.
     At the end of the 2 day class - where cameras ranged from Nikon
D1x's to Leica digiluxes and all sorts of Canon and Olympus in
between. BUT at the end of it al, they had one major complaint about
digital (besides the usual we gripe about - shutter lag etc) but the
brightness gamut! It could not be mage to look as good as a scanned
immage or a film print. Higlights were always blown out, dark areas
were just in the dumps - neither could be rescued. I just thought it was
interesting to see a bunch of very bright photo neophytes SEE the exact
same thing! All seemed to leave with the impression that digital is OK
for the web, or shoot on a bright overcast day - but if you want it all,
stay
with film.
Just an observation - don't shoot the messenger!
Ed

http://mail2web.com/ .