Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:31:03 -0400

> If you invest the time and effort to learn what PhotoShop
> can do, you will have no doubts that digital can surpass film -

Tina, as you well know, scanned film IS digital, and you can easily get the
same results (if not better, as you have more to work with) from film as you
can from digital.

> even in the
> dynamic range category.

Hum.  No, not if you're talking about digital capture.  If you're talking
about scanning film, then yes, you can get "more" dynamic range (not more
density range BTW) from a digital print than you can from a darkroom print.

> It does take time and effort to learn how to use
> it.  I think I could study PhotoShop for the rest of my life and never
> learn everything that it can do.  It is an extremely complex and powerful
> program.  I am amazed every day at what I can do with PhotoShop,
> but you do
> have to dedicate a lot of hours to learning how to use it.  On the other
> hand, it is fun!!

Well, I see a lot of people using PhotoShop as a crutch for bad photography
(certainly no hint of that WRT you...), and most of the high end digital
people I know don't actually do much with PS, they simply get the image
right on film (or in the camera for digital capture), and use PS for dust
spotting, tonal curves and occasionally something more complicated...but for
the most part, the image is not very manipulated.  PS certainly can "rescue"
a badly shot/developed image better than you can in the darkroom, but that
should be the exception, not the rule.

Regards,

Austin