Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a long shot .. .. yet
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:12:04 -0700

on 06/29/03 6:24 PM, caliguri@rcn.com at caliguri@rcn.com wrote:

> It could not be mage to look as good as a scanned
> immage or a film print. Higlights were always blown out, dark areas
> were just in the dumps - neither could be rescued. I just thought it was
> interesting to see a bunch of very bright photo neophytes SEE the exact
> same thing! All seemed to leave with the impression that digital is OK
> for the web, or shoot on a bright overcast day - but if you want it all,
> stay with film.
> Just an observation - don't shoot the messenger!

But Ed,

It's not surprising a bunch of rank amateurs expect digital is going to save
their photos from their lack of experience? Just because they can't get good
results doesn't mean anything. They would likely have the same experience
with slide film. "Gee, this stuff always has the highlights blown out! And
the shadows have no detail! You can't get a decent photo at high noon with
this stuff no how!"

Thus they conclude that they should always use negative film.

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer, thanks for playing.

They forget that photography is an extremely difficult process to master.
And automatic focus, exposure or digital imaging is not going to make them
better or more competent. Otherwise, pro photographers would be scared to
death of digital imaging. Come to think of it, the ones who don't know it do
seem to fear it. But we're not scared for a good reason. If you know what
you're doing, you can get great results no matter what media you use.

People who know hardware don't necessarily know how to make good photos. And
those who fear it don't make as good photos as they could. The paradox of
good photography is that you shouldn't obsess on hardware, but you had
better spend a lot of time with it.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar
Wilde