Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:57:30 -0400

> I like to joke about my printer at work being a $1.5 million Heidelberg.
> It's cool having a printer that can do 15,000 pages an hour!

When I do the math for people about running a 16 page perfecting sig at
10,000 sph (our prefered speed, although the 8 and CD can go 15K), they are
impressed with 160,000 pages an hour! Then I compare to a 6 x 9 32 page
sig.... Of course, our Harris web can blow any sheetfed out of the water
without even blinking. Docutechs can't even begin to compete.

It's interesting reading the chatter about film and digi, yet the work
horses of the print industry are really quite mechanical. Yes, CTP and CPC
units make the setup and QC easier, but walk into a commercial offset shop
running all presses at full bore, and that's the sound of money being made!
(as opposed to being printed, but that's not our niche....)