Subject: RE: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:27:07 -0400

> > Don't hang your hat on sharpness, it's not relevant to image
> fidelity.  If
> > you think sharpness is a critical thing (of the type we are
> talking about),
> > then read comic books.  All the picture you could ever ask for is there.
>
> Why do you keep arguing like I'm saying sharpness is all? Is that your
> obsessive image of Leica users? YOU ARE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE ACCUSING
> ME OF MAKING THIS MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Did you hear that?

But, Eric...it's ONE of the TWO attributes YOU mentioned!  I didn't say it
was ALL...you, for some mistaken reason, apparently took it that way.  And I
quote:

"I get results clearly superior in terms of sharpness
and grain compared to film"

So, yes, Eric, YOU brought it up, and in bringing it up, I'm going to point
out what I did.

Grain is yet another issue in and of it self...and is, of course, very
dependant on what film you are talking about...and very dependant on what
resolution sensor you are comparing to.  This issue goes both ways, and can
be far better with respect to using film, and in SOME instances, can be far
better using digital.

Also, you asked "Why call it Bayer pattern?" apparently you were thinking I
was being pedantic or something...well, the reason FOR identifying it as
what we are talking about is there are other types of sensors, and in some
instances are far superior to a Bayer pattern sensor (like a linear sensor,
which will give full color information, unlike the Bayer pattern
sensor)...and therefore it is necessary to define the type of sensor being
talked about when making any type of comparison/qualitative statements.

Austin