Subject: [Leica] Putting Barnack's Philosophy to the Test: Small Negative, Large Print
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:46:19 -0600

After more than a week's worth of doing nothing but sort massive amounts
of paper for my tax year end I finally got back into the darkroom late
last night to put Barnack's Philosophy of "small negative, large print"
to the test by doing a number of 16X20 prints. This required that I
extend the column on my V35 to it's maximum setting and print without an
easel. While I have done 16X20 prints before, when testing equipment, I
cheated somewhat by using paper no larger than 8X10 or 11X14 and used
test negatives supplied by Leica.

Well I must say I am extremely pleased with the result. I enlarged B&W
35mm negatives which had been created hand held at f stops of 5.6 to 11
and shutter speeds from 1/250 to 1/60 using either an M2 or M3.

To go beyond 16X20 I will need to reverse the head on the V35 and print
on the floor but I wondering what is the large print limit people have
seen from their Leica cameras?

It seems Barnack was right!

Regards,

Greg