Subject: Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:07:25 -0700

on 07/01/03 8:41 AM, Nelson Chan at cchan@info.com.ph wrote:

> What are
> the advantage of a scanner other than storing the images in your pc and for
> posting photos on the web?

If you have an excellent printer (read: better than simple desktop printers)
you can produce images that are indistinguishable from darkroom-printed
prints - up to a certain size. Depends on many factors what that size is.

Advantage - in Photoshop it's much easier to spot a photo (remove dust
motes) and you can have much  more precise control (easier anyway than with
film) over dodging and burning and contrast control. There's really not much
you can't do with a traditional darkroom that you can do with Photoshop, but
in most cases it's much harder to master.

That being said, having worked in a darkroom for quite a few years, I was
able to take to Photoshop and understand the basics pretty quickly. Thanks
to them some times using darkroom metaphors for functions - such as dodging
wand, pencil, brush, airbrush, etc.

In the end, there are lots of things that you will find easier to do with
Photoshop, but unless you know what you're doing with calibration and
picking the right printer, you won't see the advantages.

Photoshop classes at local colleges is highly recommended. On your own with
a book is much more difficult. Or look for a Photoshop User Group in your
area.

Or stick with a darkroom. I very much miss the atmosphere of a darkroom
(absence makes the nose grow fonder?) and working under high-pressure
deadlines. It was a big adrenalin rush to walk into a darkroom at 9 p.m. and
be required to turn in a couple basketball photos by 9:30. And the
craftsman-like feeling (when I had the time) of doing it by "hand" has its
perks, too. Just like using a Leica camera in a largely digital, AF,
automated world.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make
mistakes.
 -Sam Abell -  Stay This Moment

Replies: Reply from "Nelson Chan" <cchan@info.com.ph> (Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners)