Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003 (Stranger w/ a Camera)
From: Clif Wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

 Well, the photographer Shelby Lee Adams:
http://www.photoeye.com/Gallery/forms/index.cfm?id=10045&image=1&imagePosition=1&Door=52&Portfolio=Portfolio1&Gallery=0&Page=65
 told an interesting story about this event at an
University of Texas lecture. According to Adams the
documentarian had been warned by Ison to stay off his
properties. (He was the landlord of the property where
Hugh O'Conner was working.) After finding O'Conner
working with a cameraman at the location Ison warned
him to leave immediately. Instead they kept filming
and Ison shot the camera through the lens and then
killed O'Conner. Incidentally, Adams claimed the
filmakers had newspapered the walls of the home to
make it look more "authentic"
 The story was told as an example of how many
documentarians came to the region with a lack of
respect for their subjects and the ramifications in
one case.
 I wouldn't say murder was justified but another
version of the story nonetheless.
 Shelby Adams said when he first began working in the
area people warned him of Ison. He countered that he
didn't feel he had much to worry about considering
Ison was his uncle.

Clif Wright

=====
http://www.pbase.com/clifwright