Subject: [Leica] Re: Piezotone & bwguys
From: "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:00:03 +1000

Dante Stella writes:

> Today I was out looking at inkjet printers for b/w work scanned on a
> Sprintscan 120.  Guess after reading a score of posts on this, I'll wait  until inkjet printing is more straightforward.
> "Piezography" sounds more complicated than actually printing pictures in a
> bathroom - at least there, I just plug in Ilford MG IV, set the lens at
> f/5.6 and the density at +45 (well, this is a Durst DA900, so it's kind of
> like cheating),

In what way do you mean cheating?

>and expose.  Four minutes later, I have prints that last
> for 50 years, no surface flatness, no fading, no color cast.  If I don't
> like the contrast, it takes all of ten seconds to change the contrast
> filter.
>
> It's my surmise that when you can get the Ilford paper for $30/100 in 8x10
> glossy delivered, that it's actually cheaper too.  The enlarger cost a bit
> less than a 2200.

This is certainly true for me as well (at the moment) especially with 35mm.
The combination of the Leica v35 and Splitgrade analysis, with the jobo ATL
3 makes printmaking fast, accurate and efficient. I can move "seamlessly"
(love that word -- sounds almost sensuous) between paper types, and alter
contrast by small grades till the print looks just to my liking: Control of
local contrast is good, if not as easy as in the computer, and dodging and
burning still take some "skill" which I am learning. Not so good with the
larger enlarger just yet.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com