Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Fastest bw/developer combo
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:21:25 -0400

when i returned to developing after 15 years, there was a vocal
group of xtol fans--xtol being the newest thing in developers,
and over the last year, i've joined them.  xtol is not the "fastest"
in terms of time in the developer, especially when used 1+3 dilution
(18 minutes @ 68F for HP5+)  but it does make the most of the film's speed.
i get an honest to goodness 400 asa out of HP5+.

there's been a lot of buzz about the xtol "sudden death" syndrome, where
it reportedly loses all potency overnight.  i've been lucky never to
have this happen with my xtol, stored as long as 6 months in a floating-
lid tank, but i always develop a clip off the negative before committing
a roll.

i like HP5+ because i like the simplicity of using one film for 35mm,
120, 220, and 4x5.

- -rei