Subject: RE: [Leica] Ireland Suggestions?
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:40:54 -0600

> as to especially good places to photograph.  This is part of a driving
>
> trip...we start Woking, just south of London, then head up to
> Sunderland and
>
> Carlisle to visit friends, then up into Scotland for some green-laning.
>
> Then, we ferry over to Ireland.  We're with local friends every
> place except

And if you are doing this route in England, en-route to Sunderland stop at
the wonderful city of Durham - amazing Norman Cathedral, as well as the
Castle, river, town and University. Don't miss the giant steel angel on the
drive north. As well, Newcastle, while one of the north of England's great
industrial cities (well, it was - I think they still make tanks...), it has
some beautiful Georgian Streets, as well as an interesting quayside (and
there is an intriguing modern bridge over the Tyne at Gateshead), and if
it's still there, the Side Gallery for photography. Once in Sunderland, if
you have time, head north of the Tyne into Northumberland - one of the most
under-rated areas of English countryside, between the Tyne and the Scottish
borders. Full of history. An interesting coastline - castles (some ruins,
some still in use) at Bamburgh, Dunstunborough, Alnwick etc. Try the freshly
smoked kippers at Craister - a quaint little fishing village. Look out for
any concerts in the area with the English bagpipes (Northumbrian
Smallpipes - especially by Katherine Tickell among others). Check out
Lindisfarne/Holy Island (can get a bit touristy on summer weekends) - this
is the region of the great Celtic Saints, Aidan and Cuthbert and others. If
it isn't too busy, Lindisfarne Castle, renovated during the Arts & Crafts
period by Lutyens is fascinating, with it's small walled garden by Gertrude
Jekyll. Or head inland to the rolling Cheviot Hills. Good seafood on the
coast, great pub food everywhere.

If you are driving over the top from Sunderland to Carlisle, make time for
Hadrian's Wall, bleak moorland and the Northumberland Dales - Liddesdale
etc. I find Northumberland more "real" and less crowded than the more
popular Lake District or the "Herriot" Yorkshire Dales.

tim