Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:19:45 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:

> Mark, this is a Leica list.  Aren't you supposed to be ranting and raving at
> yourself for mentioning other brands?
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Yep but a month ago all these "people" were talking about their Leica D100's.
At that time there was no interchangeable lensed option other than
putting your Leica R lens on a Canon. (My spell checker gave me cancan  n.
An exuberant dance that originated in France, performed by women and
marked by high kicking. [French.]

At the time it chafed but now i see thier point as there are no other
options and digitally speaking the time is at hand.

The digital back coming out a year from now is a malaprop. It just does
not compute.
I don't think it will have us furiously building up our R systems until
this supposed Leica second coming digital back.
Even if it were on time it would be too late. Heck if it were released
today it would be just about too late. Especially if they price doesn't
come down. By next year for one grand we'll be getting 8 megabytes with
a 1.4 or 1.3 thing to multiply to get your lens. The Leica digital
option would cost you a decimal point more.
I think they need to hire a few more consultants in the electronic area.
And put in a night shift. And take the Lager out of the cafeteria.

Has anyone been on shoots where they need both film and digital? So you
have two cameras hanging over your neck?
If so the analog camera could easily be my M6. Why not? I've certainly
nothing against it. That fact that it doesn't measure five separate
areas of brightness and depth and compare this to a vast database of
pictures which would compare closely to this description.  No we are not
on an alley in Monaco with a bright streetlight we are in Seattle
instead walking thorough the fish market. But it don't know why. It has
no emotions. The fact my Leica doesn't do this is OK with me. I like
that painted on white circle, that says it all.

Nikons are very Leicalike. (Especially the F3)

See Dougs pix on his site and find out!.

Or my own site.

But instead of a Coolpix i just might have to go out and order a
Leicalux (whatever) for my pocket pixel grabber.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons)