Subject: [Leica] Ireland suggestions
From: Ian Watts <watts@firebomb.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:10:43 +0100

Marc James Small wrote:

> The USian "hard-boiled" is the British Isles "hard-cooked",
> but, again, they will understand the USian useage.  No one but the lowest
> of the low could ever eat a fried egg, so who would or could want to know
> the proper terms for such horrible concoctions?

Also:

> How many citations to British, Irish, and Scottish cookery books do you wish?

You can cite as many cookery books as you like but the fact remains that I
(like others on this list)  have *never* heard anybody here in the UK refer
to a hard-boiled egg as a 'hard-cooked' egg.

A fried egg is unquestionably the finest form of cooked egg. This is
especially the case when the egg is fried in butter rather than oil and
sandwiched between two slices of stodgy white bread. If this makes me some
kind of dreadful prole then so be it.

Ian Watts

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Ireland suggestions)