Subject: Re: [Leica] Walks with a Panasonic - Sunday July 6th
From: "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:40:37 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@skynet.be>

> Graham,
>
> As ususal, your last pics with the Panasonic are great ones as well as
those
> of your PAW or Strangers Gallery. The digital ones seem even better
> (sharper) on my monitor.
> Can you tell us how you consider the Panasonic vs the Leica M? Two
different
> tools for the same work? The Panasonic, an all-in-one combo? Leica now
only
> for B/W + filters? Do you feel in the same mood when you use the digital
and
> the argentic?...
> TIA for your answer and the next post.
>
> Bernard
>
> bernard.degaute@skynet.be
> rue Bernard Hequet, 41
> B-7973 STAMBRUGES
> PHONE +(32)(0)69.57.57.33

Bernard,

Panasonic v Leica M?  Being logical there is no contest for what I use
cameras for. It has to be the Panasonic or any digital for that matter.
Immediacy, no scanning, no spotting or cleaning up and passable results
carry the day. On the down side there is little or no depth of field control
and in bright weather the LCD screen is all but useless. The colour of the
sky is not rendered entirely accurately and I also shoot too many pics and
get less selective.

When I used to print stuff or shoot chromes I could see a difference in
quality with Leica glass but scanning is a great leveller, at least with my
HP20 scanner it is, and any quality benefits get wiped out for the web.

With digital I sometimes don't even stop walking, I just raise the camera to
my eye and shoot on auto. I check the LCD screen and if I can see it then it
is too light so I re-shoot. It is so easy it almost seems like cheating.

You asked the question so I typed out a few random thoughts. If I weren't
hooked on Leica I would switch to digital in an instant but I am hooked on
Leica in a way that defies rationalisation.

- --Graham

Replies: Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Walks with a Panasonic - Sunday July 6th)