Subject: RE: [Leica] Apology
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:10:39 -0400

Don R.,

> Did the Japs ever apologize for their cowardly sneak  attack on
> Pearl Harbor killing 2,500 Americans or torturing to death
> thousands more Americans in the death camps?  Of course not.

These acts are nothing compared to the atrocities committed
by the Japanese government in China and South East Asia (the
rape of Nanking, for one).  Do you know how they train their
soldiers to act so inhumanly ?  By brainwashing them that "they"
are not "us", that "they" are "inferior" to us, and therefore,
"they" deserve it.  What about the atrocities committed by the
Americans in Vietnam ?  (Mind you, the Americans didn't have
the monopoly on war atrocities then either).

I cannot think of people of any nationality that has any history
of substance, that in the course of that history have not committed
some atrocities.  I believe that most of us in many of the same
circumstances will be able to do same.  The trick is not to let
ourselves be in those circumstances.

- - Phong

P.S. Actually there have been public apologies from individuals from
both wars mentioned above.  And I thought the Emperor of Japan did
apologize (with a gun pointed to his head, so to speak), once right
after the war, and also more recently.