Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Digital: Our divided loyalties
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:02:39 -0700

on 07/16/03 9:11 AM, Martin Howard at mvhoward@mac.com wrote:

> Eric Welch wrote:
>
>> The mediocre stuff is doomed.
>
> This must be why we have daytime soap operas, point-and-shoot cameras,
> 12" TVs, sneakers that last nine months, McDonalds, Burger King, and
> Taco Bell, $15 digital watches, Wal-Mart and K-Mart, "Charlies Angles
> II", etc.  They won over the "mediocre" stuff.

I was referring ONLY to mediocre film. The world is full of mediocrity, but
in photography, film is becoming a more specialized part of the industry.
The people who choose to continue using it are going to have high standards.
Otherwise, why bother?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A man should be able to classify everything he believes so that he can say:
'This I believe because it is handed down from the Prophets; this I believe
from the evidence of my senses; and this I believe from reason.' Whoever
believes anything that does not fall within these three categories, to him
apply the saying: 'The thoughtless believe every word.'" - Maimonides