Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm Elmarit-R question
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:49:09 -0700

on 07/16/03 6:00 PM, Jim McIntyre at mcintyre@ca.inter.net wrote:

> Question:
>
> I am looking at longer focal length lenses for my R4. I was seaching around
> for the 180mm Elmarit-R f2.8, (non-APO), and found that there are two
> versions. The first version, which has a max f-stop of 16 seems to be
> considerably less expensive than the second version, which has a max f-stop
> of 22. Should I hold out for the second version, or is the performance of
> the first version up to par. Of course, my other option is to keep an eye
> out for the 80-200 f4 vario.... Advice - and leads - appreciated.

Hi Jim,

I'm biased because I'm selling mine, but I've owned both. The first
generation is a good lens, but it's big and bulky and heavy. Optically it's
good, but definitely late 60s early 70s Leica optics.

The newer 180 Elmarit R (introduced in 1980) is much better, much lighter,
and even had better performance than the old Apo Telyt up close. (It focuses
pretty close!). I've owned three of them over the years, and they are
first-class.

What prices are you seeing for either one?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us.
 - Calvin and Hobbes