Subject: Re: [Leica] Please critique Bangkok picture
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:27:44 -0700

Mitch Alland wrote:

> I don't know whether this is done on the LUG, but can you critique the
> following picture:

To me, the focal point and point of interest in this picture is the
Buddha (?) statue and the two people working on it/by it.  I like the
humour of the juxtaposition, especially with one man half hiding (?)
behind it.  It's slightly surreal.

That said, the motorcyclist adds nothing.  You would have needed to get
closer to the point of interest, leaving the street and the
motorcyclist out of it.  Shooting it as a vertical would have allowed
you to get close, while still retain the full statue.

I see also that, in the middle distance, there appears to be another
statue half peeking out from a doorway.  Was this a factory?  This
suggests that you could have worked the scene more, trying alternative
angles, walk down the street and point the camera back (door way close
to left frame, men working on statue centre/right frame).  You wouldn't
have had the problem with the street then either.

It has potential -- but you missed it.

M.