Subject: Re: [Leica] Please critique Bangkok picture
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:59:15 -0700

Mitch,
I feel the composition is a little cluttered.  Is the subject the guys with
the Buddha, or the motorbiker, or the general street scene?  I would like to
see more of something specific than a little of a many things in the scene.
Decide what the point of the photo is, and focus on that.  For example, you
could have moved lower and closer to the Buddha, used a larger aperture for
*less* depth of field, and maybe show the motorbike going by as a soft blur
with a slower shutter speed.  Looking at the photo, I wonder if the
motorbiker is moving or not.

If the focus is the guy on the motorbike, I'd get right up in his face a
little lower and a little more to his right, use a large aperture, but
perhaps stopped down just enough to see a blurry figure of the Buddha behind
him.

The key point I'm making is to get closer to the subject and try to make a
specific point to your viewer.

- --Jim