Subject: [Leica] Focus and Summilux 75
From: Marty Deveney <sealpup@sharkattacks.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:36:01 -0700 (PDT)

Kyle said:
>I had a 75 1.4 that I bought from b.d. about three years ago. I shot >about four rolls with it and NONE of them were in focus. Not a >testiment to the quality of the lens, simply a factor of focusing with >a razor thin DOF. I promptly sold the lens and continued to use the >russian 85 2.0.

In short, me too.  I've never had the pleasure of working much with a Noctilux, but with a borrowed 75/1.4 and a .85x M6 with the 1.25x magnifier, I could not reliably focus the lens wide open.  I have a Nikon 85/1.4 that is almost indistinguishable from the Leica M 75 in results which I think is great.  If you like the focal length and must have Leica, there's always the 80/1.4 and an R camera.

You are not alone . . .