Subject: [Leica] Lagavulin and focussing Noctilux and 75 Summilux in low light
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:35:33 -0500

I often grab my Nocti or 90 Summicron for shots in low flat lighting
situations and know what you descrribe. I also set focus and then move
mysellf slightly forward or backward following the subject to maintain
focus. The closer and with more image magnification, the more difficult
focussing is in these situations. Shoot lots, know that your camera is
accurate at those distances and practice are the best advices I can offer.
The more I've done it, the better I've become. The M Leica, more than most
cameras, is paid off with patience.
On another note, after 27 years as an analogue photographer, I too have
succumbed to the siren of the digital Nikon D100. With the exception of my
Leica and fast glass, I see no compelling use for 35mm film cameras right
now. So many benefits from digital capture. I take morning walks with my
cameras. The were becoming expensive trips as my film and processing costs
rose. With the D100 I can shoot all day for free! Shooting lots of stuff
that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, experimenting more. This is a
positive experience. My studio lighting is funner now that I can see the
immediate results from my strobe placement, which before were difficult to
imagine.
I could go on, but the bottom line for me is, I like the digital experience.
If ONLY an M camera were in the digital works. The thought of all this fun
with Leica M glass would just be too much.
Good day folks,
Jim Gumm