Subject: Re: [Leica] PAWs
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:38:05 -0700

bdcolen wrote:

> Come on, Jerry - There are about 12 of us - 13 perhaps - still using
> TLRs...and most 2 1/4s aren't being used for this kind of
> photography...so Don's comment was perfectly sensible...
>
> B. D.

The same vantage point I get from my Hasselblads, Don as i always use
the waist level finder, never the prisms!
I have two of the most modern of these "finders" one of each of my
bodies. I hate shooting with anything else. Even the chimeny finder.
My Rolleiflex is long  overdue for a CLA but I cant get my act together
to get it packaged up and sent out. Also I'm afraid to have it go
somewhere it might get lost and adapted by another family!

I think of the Dianne Arbus pictures. Obviously shot from the waist.
Otherwise or the reason why she killed herself was because she din't
like being three feet tall.  This can impinge on ones social life but
hey, I'm quite fond of tiny people myself!

A side note that's in the middle: a tripod which only has to go three
feet heigh for waist level shooting only can be featherweight and built
of popsicle sticks and soda straws. I find it a great way to shoot on
the street and some things more formally too while I'm out there. An eye
level triod even for 35m format has to be ten times more built up and
heavier and i'm harldly exagerating.

This week going though ads and such i notice Leica waist level finders,
I think it was Tamarkin sold for chump change. Also for the Nikon F5 if
i ever go there  and do that instead of dealing with the finist Nikon plastic.
An Action Finder cost a grand. That puts the camera at 3 grand! But if
it finds the action I'm sure it's worth it!
A grand here, a grand there it all adds up.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com