Subject: Re: [Leica] Focussing Noctilux and 75 Summulix in low light
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:06:19 -0700

Rick Dykstra:

> When I take shots in dim light with Nocti or 90/2 I get reliably well
> focussed shots, these days.  The tricks I use are: swaying to focus,
> and focussing sightly ahead of the subject's closest eye.<<<<    snip

> Once I've focussed the rangefinder, I'll give the lens the tiniest tweak
to clockwise and then 'click'.  Works!<<

Hi Rick,
Is this possibly an "off rangefinder?" Like it's not right on the mark
correct when working wide open? If I were to follow your method with the
extra little tweak of the focus ring, my negs would be out of focus on the
highlight of the eye.  And I mean the near eye to camera.

It's an interesting focus method. But do you do it when working with other
near wide open apertures?

ted