Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: My plea for wisdom.. thanks all
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:58:51 -0400

Martin Howard wrote:

> On my M2, I have a Wasserman rewind crank (the old version with the long
> handle for extra torque).  Your supposed to be gentle and place a finger
> against the shaft when rewinding to stop the thing from bending.  pFFt!
> (To quote an IRC #leica channel regular).  I just pull the knob/crank up
> and rewind that sucker as fast as I can.  When it is in its seated
> position, you could probably hammer in nails with it without causing any
> damage to the rewind function.
>
> I think, on the whole, people spend too much time worrying about their
> equipment, and too little time using it.  Photographers used the
> old-style rewinds in WARS, people!  In many cases, the cameras faired
> better than their owners.  Unfortunately.

Fair enough.

But in the uncropped version of Nick Ut's Pulitzer Prize winning Vietnam
photo of the naked girl running down the road to escape the napalm
attack, you will see David Burnett frantically trying to reload his M2.

As usual, YMMV.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: My plea for wisdom.. thanks all)