Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:47:51 -0700

on 07/20/03 7:25 AM, Nelson Chan at cchan@info.com.ph wrote:

> Any suggestion for photographing babies
> using the 75mm? or should I just use the nikon 85/1.4?  OPPSSS.  Sorry.:)

Well, first of all, make sure to focus on the eyelids. You have to have the
eyes in focus. When they are, you're set. And make sure your camera is
calibrated for accurate focus.

A lot of people don't realize this, but many M cameras need to be calibrated
to focus accurately with the 75 Summilux. They don't know their camera is
off a tad bit because the depth of field of most lenses are deep enough to
work okay with most bodies. But even more than the 50 Noctilux - though that
is an issue too - the 75 Summilux has to be on a body that is spot-on. I
have talked to photographers who dedicate a specific body to that lens. I
don't and in fact, my M6 needs to be adjusted to get that thing back in line
when that lens is wide open. When it's in line, then the 35 Summilux ASPH is
a breeze.

Hey, I just remembered Sherri Krauter actually owes me some money from the
last overpayment of a repair (1999 - see, Leica's do last just fine!) by my
employer. Time to send it!

When they're working together correctly, it's not all that hard to shoot
with it quickly and accurately. Unless it's fast-moving little kids. Then
use an F5. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Replies: Reply from "Nelson Chan" <cchan@info.com.ph> (Re: [Leica] Focusing a 75 1.4 -- mitch's question)