Subject: Re: [Leica] An Introduction, and a plea for wisdom
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:42:33 -0700

Some very good advice!
A few personal opinions:

(1) I don't think I need a rapidwinder. My thumb works just fine.
(2) I have a 21mm. I think I'd rather have a 24. The grass is always
greener...
(3) Sane people don't own multiple 50 and 35mm lenses.
The rest of us don't (or shouldn't) carry two of the same focal length at
the same time. You just have to draw the line somewhere...

(4) If you don't own multiples you tend to carry what you have. This feels
good (and works at least 95% of the time even if you don't have a summilux).

(5) Unfortunately you'll remember the other 5%. This will eventually lead
you to get a 'Lux (or become really good at 1/8 or 1/15 second exposures).
The latter is more important than the former, since you'll frequently want
the increased depth of field at f2 regardless of the maximum aperture of
your lens.

(6) Once you give in and add a 'Lux, you'll then have two lenses of the same
focal length. You must decide when to carry them. Since less than half of
the times you'll need to use the 'Lux are predictable, you'll start to carry
the 'Lux all the time.

(7) You'll then be surprised at how infrequently you use the 'Lux below f2.
This will lead you to begin leaving it at home. Unfortunately, leaving a
'lux at home causes the universe to respond by darkening all of the images
you wish to capture by at least two stops.

Still, you can save time and aggravation by buying one now (before you have
a summicron to compete with it for space in your bag).

Hope this helps,

Mike Quinn

Martin Howard advised: