Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 wanna-be owner questions
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:49:51 -0700

Tom Christiansen wrote:

> 1) I notice that some lenses are sold as 1 CAM, 2 CAM, and 3 CAM
> lenses. Which ones work with the R8?

3-cam, 3rd cam (i.e., *only* the 3rd cam), and ROM lenses (which are
3rd cam with electrical contacts).

> 2) I have seen several claims that you loose some functionality when
> using lenses without ROM contacts. Exactly what is communicated via
> those contacts and which functionality do you loose by not having the
> ROM contacts?

Zoomable flash heads appearantly read the focal length through these.
I'm not sure if they currently serve any other use, but other, more
informed members of this list will be able to.

> 3) Are the 1 CAM, 2 CAM, 3 CAM lenses really just M lenses which have
> been retrofitted to fit the R system?

M lenses cannot be "retrofitted" for the R system: the lens flange to
film distance is radically different, along with things like different
bayonet diameter, metering cams, etc.  Some R lenses are the same
optical design as their M counter parts (the 135mm f/2.8 comes to
mind), but largely, these are two entirely different and independent
lens lines.

http://www.leica-camera.com/cgi-bin/overview.pl/en/sn2p

> 5) I understand that some of the early production R8 bodies had some
> bugs in them which were weeded out in the later production runs. Does
> anyone know of an approximate date of production or serial number for
> the start of the new, bug-free batches of R8's?

I did a survey on R8 camera reliability when they first came out and
was trying to use the LUG Archives search function to find the summary
posting... but for some reason, the LUG Archive refuses to search
anything other than 2003 messages, regardless of the "back issues"
setting.  Perhaps it will work in a day or two.  Do a search for "R8
Reliability Survey" as I believe that was the title of the posting.

M.