Subject: [Leica] Takes a Lickin'
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:52:17 -0400

At 06:44 PM 7/21/03 -0400, caliguri@rcn.com wrote:
>Wasn't it Johm Cameron Swazey (?) whom I
>recall as a kid strpping a Timex watch to a boat prop and other crazy
>things to show that it will "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' !" I could
>be >wrong there; I was a little kid , but I recall those demos on TV - shows
>the power of the medium I guess!
'=============================

Ah!   John Cameron Swazey, the announcer who marked the change from
"journalist" to "personality" when TV beat radio, was the spokesman for
Timex.  Timex sponsored the then-middle-aged Walter Cronkite's THE
TWENTIETH CENTURY on CBS, every Sunday in the late 1950's at, I recall 8PM
your time.  For those of us in real time (that is, Eastern time), the
broadcast was live.

Swazey would subject the Timex to various horrid tortures and then would
intone, in his magnificent voice, "[I]t takes a lickin' and keeps on
tickin'!"  One night, he strapped the Timex to an outboard motor prop,
lowered the engine into a 55-gallon oil drum converted into a test tank,
and fired the motor.  Swazy continued with his ad hype, rolling phrase
after rolling phrase, while the motor whirred away.

And, as the advert ended, the motor was cut off and lifted from the test
tank.  Swazey then spoke directly into the camera, "[A}s I said, it takes a
lickin' and ... <pause> ...  it's GONE!", as the watch had flown off of the
rapidly rotating prop.  Swazey swore later that they had done the test four
or five times before doing it live on nation-wide TV but the result was, to
be polite, most risible.

No, I do not know what was run in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific time
zones on that night.  I was in the Eastern time zone and still recall the
laughter of my parents.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!