Subject: [Leica] Dive "timers" and Direction finders, and TIMEX watches!!
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:48:16 -0400

This kind of reminds me of my own expereience.  I used to dive
with a Rolex gold and stainless steel submariner.  Once while
waiting on the boat to "outgas" for the second of a two tank dive off
Maui, one of the pins broke.  The watch fell off my wrist, bounced
on the aluminum threshold of the boat and bounced into the boat  -
instead of out into the sea.   It scared the stuffing out of me.  I had
the pin replaced and have since dived with a $175 Seal Luminox
watch.  But like ther post said, I'd rather dive with two dive
computers and forget the watch altogether.  Dive watches tell
others you're a diver but I wouldn't bet my life on one in an
emergency.  Like cameras, redundancy is the best policy with dive
computers.

Richard

Richard Clompus, OD
Roanoke, VA
> From: "caliguri@rcn.com" <caliguri@rcn.com>
> Date: 2003/07/21 Mon PM 06:44:45 EDT
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: [Leica] Dive "timers" and Direction finders, and TIMEX
watches!!

> Hi!
> Honestly - this guy is right! Dive computers have replaced dive
watches
> a while ago - since your life depends on how much air you have
left (or
> for some "new Photographer-Dive rich folk - Rebreather
Capacity :-)  no
> bubbles! ) A multi function computer attached to your tank is the
way to
> go for me -- time, direction, depth, tank pressure etc is the best.
The
> Seamaster is great - but as a land watch - I use a Timex ! :-) -
keeps
> time very well, is cheap, indiglo night light, and when I'm working
in the
> laboratory. If someone spills a plastic-corrosive solvent on it, I
can
> replace it for 30 bucks! ;-) Wasn't it Johm Cameron Swazey (?)
whom I
> recall as a kid strpping a Timex watch to a boat prop and other
crazy
> things to show that it will "take a lickin' and keep on tickin' !" I
could
> be
> wrong there; I was a little kid , but I recall those demos on TV -
shows
> the power of the medium I guess!
> Ed
>
> On one such visit, I noticed that the owner was wearing one of
my
> favorite
> watches, an Omega Seamaster Chronometer (their most water
> resistant, good
> to 300M/1000ft). I commented on the watch and he said that it
was also
> one
> of his favorites. I asked if he was a SCUBA diver and, when he
said that
> he was, whether he wore the watch diving.
>
> "Oh no," was his reply, "you cannot wear a watch like this diving.
It is