Subject: Re: [Leica] The titanium Leica
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:59:06 -0700

Kurt H. Miska asked:
> This business about the titanium M6 has always bothered me. I'm no
> expert but the concept of plating (electroplating) titaniunm on to
> another metal (alloy) always struck me as not being possible. With that
> in mind, I contacted a friend of mine, a PhD metallurgist. He wrote
> the following, and I quote,
>
> "My guess is that it isn't electroplated, but it certainly can be
> deposited via PVD (Physical vapor deposition). Those golden drill
> bits you see at Sears are titanium nitride coated. Run the same
> process in a vacuum instead of nitrogen and you get plain
> old titanium on the substrate."
>
> There's gotta be somebody out there who has the idea of exactly what
> Leica did. I wonder if they cast the M6 titanium? But, that means it
> would have had to be cast in a vacuum. If you melt titanium in air, it
> will catch fire.
>
> So, who knows?<<<<<<<,

Hi Kurt,
I'd think the best people to ask would be Leica PR people New Jersey or
Solms. And if you don't receive a response send an e-mail to the President
of the company and ask him!

Then we can find out if they pay attention to what is said here. ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re[2]: [Leica] The titanium Leica)