Subject: Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:49:20 -0700

Phong wrote:

> Mark R,
>
> > I thought i was the only non zoomer around here in the digital thing.
> > Why not you, Phong?
>
> Oh, I zoom when I have too.  I've been using the Canon EOS
> system for more than 10 years now, and throughout the years
> have gotten 3 2.8 zooms covering from 20mm to 200mm, plus a f4
> zoom for when I walk around a lot and want to bring a zoom.
> But 2.8 is very limiting.  I've been thinking of selling all my
> zooms and throw in a bit of money and buy that 11 megapixel
> Canon, then use only prime lenses (24mm 1.4, 35mm f1.4, 50mm 1.4,
> 85 1.8, 132 2.0, 200 2.0) and just crop to zoom.
> It's almost a 2x zoom factor from the 3 megapixels to 11
> megapixels.  I then can pretend I have a set of super fast
> (1.4 to 2.0), high quality, light weight zooms  :-).
>
> Don't you ever find yourself in a situation you wish you had
> a zoom ?
>
> - Phong

Having sworn them off about five years before i got into Leica from
Nikon ten years ago no.
I cant think of one time i thought "which I could zoom." while framing a
shot. Some of this had to do with the fact that my particularly zooms
were not all that terrific. Still I'm glad I've taken this approach for
this period of time.

On the Canon full frame I've heard it is surprisingly limited in use.
Why?  I forgot the slowness of it?  Limited amount of shots you can get
on a memory thing? (roll).

Me I don't mind getting a wide which i know is a wide for film and a
normal for digital.
It's like getting two lenses for the price of  one!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com