Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak to cut up to 6,000 jobs
From: "David M. dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:43:09 -0400

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 07:59  PM, mehrdad-(kiakki.net) wrote:

> Ted, this means kodak has put too much weight on their film/paper
> business
> and in this day and age this is the wrong choice.

> regards, mehrdad

Lets not forget the "Fuji Factor" in this equation.  I don't think
Kodak is  putting too much weight on the film/paper business.  In fact
the film/paper business is the mature part of Kodak's business and I
don't think all that many people are employed in the highly automated
film/paper manufacturing end.  In fact I would suspect that film/paper
is a "cash cow" for Kodak.  And therein is where the Fuji factor comes
in.

Most of the photo finishing lines I see now are not Kodak's but Fuji,
Agfa, Noritsu, etc.  Believe me a lot of people are downloading their
digital media at the camera store or online and opting for prints, just
not on Kodak paper.

Also Kodak has ventured (diversified?) into a myriad of other areas
that have not been too successful, e. g. copiers.  Canon, Ricoh, Konica
have decimated the American copier companies.  I haven't work in an
office with an American copier in the last 10 years.  When
diversification doesn't work life becomes hell.

David