Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> wrote:

> Well,  once your camera is out of warrantee,  would you
> rather have Leica USA service your it with original parts or
> DAG handle it with quality machined ones?

Last year I noticed that a screw had fallen out of my 560mm f/6.8 Telyt.  It seemed silly to send the lens (and be without it... ) to Leica NJ just for a screw, so I tried getting a replacement screw through Leica USA's Dave Elwell.  He had no parts list for the lens, and was unable to supply the correct screw despite several attempts.  Last summer I visited the midwest and stopped by Don Goldberg's place with the lens.  He replaced the screw, no problem, along with re-lubing the focussing tracks and replacing the rubber thumb grip.

In fairness, if I had been willing to ship the lens to New Jersey I probably could have gotten similar service, but having an alternative with less turnaround time was very handy - and made the difference between getting the service and not.  I'm still a bit baffled that Leica USA doesn't have a parts list for the lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com