Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 vs R9
From: Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net>
Date: 24 Jul 2003 12:03:39 -0700

Hi,

> > Of course, if I had the capability of the R9 this way, I'm sure I'd
> > still
> > shoot in Manual indoors with TTL flash, but it would be nice for my
> > wife to
> > get better auto exposures when she uses it!
>
> Why not spend an afternoon with your wife, teacher her how to use
> manual + TTL flash with the R8?

That's a good point.

I had the pleasure of handling the R8 and the R9 side by side the other
day at my local camera pusher (Glazer's Camera, Seattle). I had the 50mm
Summircon on the cameras. While the R9 was a bit lighter than the R8,
the difference was almost negligible once the lens was attached.

During the 15-20 minutes I fondled with the cameras, I didn't notice any
difference in handling. The fact that you have to push down a locking
button to turn the camera off would be a bit of an annoyance, but I
guess having the camera turn on by the strap rubbing against the mode
button may be just as annoying.

Thus, I concluded that the choice between R8, R9 should be based on
features. In addition to small improvements in automatic modes, the main
difference between the R8 and R9 seems to be the high-speed flash option
with the R9. However, note that the guide number of the flash is
dramatically reduced as the shutter speed is increased beyond the
"normal" sync speed. In general, the improvements seems to mainly deal
with flash features. If you own a dedicated flash and use it a lot,
upgrading to the R9 may be for you. But for the rest, stay with the R8.
At least that's my opinion... They are both mighty fine cameras!!

Tom