Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:27:03 -0400

> > Jeez, this is not a difficult concept.  Selling off old parts from a
> > dwindling and unreplenishable inventory of parts compromises Leica's
> > ability
> > to support the older products.  As for the new stuff, Leica probably
> > wants
> > to produce a limited stock of spare parts in order to keep costs down.
>
> Well, I'm glad you've rationalized it for yourself. The fact that it
> alienates a loyal bunch of customers (the people who actually own and
> use the cameras they purport to support) is actually the point which
> you are having difficulty grasping I think. But you probably think that
> is good business sense too.

Your remark is both provincial and insipid.  Who's rationalizing?  Leica
exists (one might say struggles) in a very small niche market.  As much as I
like and prefer Sherry Krauter's work, the bottom line is the independents
are taking market share from Leica.  In the longer view, loss of market
share hurts Leica's ability to remain viable in the marketplace.  This in
turn can compromise product, and in the worst case scenario, can even
jeapordize Leica's ability to remain a going concern. If Leica were to
produce inferior product, or cease to exist, how many loyal customers will
it have?

Gary