Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:27:37 -0700

This whole discussion reminds me of a little chat I had with a Arriflex
rep a few years ago.
(Arriflex is a German company that invented the modern 35mm motion
picture camera)
Anyhow, we were chatting and I mentioned how I owned a old Arri IIc and
what a great camera it was. He smiled and told me how Arriflex wished
they had built those cameras less reliable. For years they put a damper
on their new camera sales. He told me that if Arri management had their
way, they would buy up all of the remaining IIc's and bulldoze them in
the company parking lot. A few years ago they cut the supply of spare
parts (or they ran out) and independent shops continue to keep the
cameras running with fabricated or salvaged parts, but that is becoming
more tricky. Not a bad run for a camera that started production around
1936 and ended in the late 70s or early 80s.

Leica  may simply be out of parts or they built too good a mousetrap.
When was the last time you saw a Leica M that actually died from over
use? Garry Winogrand made something in the vicinity of 400,000 of
exposures with his two M4's. Bill Marschall's black M3 looks like it
fell in a wood chipper. Those cameras are still working. Leicas biggest
enemy is themselves. Their cameras are built like tanks and rarely need
to be completely replaced, unless they stop a bullet or fall into the
hands of an intrepid 6 year old. I purchased a new M6TTL. When I needed
a second body I picked up a cheaper mint M2 that sat on some ones shelf
for 30 years and was occasionally taken out to shoot birthday pictures.
I sent it to Sherry and presto! I'm set till Kodak stops making Tri-X.
I bet Leica would love to see all of those old M's magically vanish
overnight, so that if you wanted a Leica, you had to buy a new one from
them. Is that evil? Yes and no, but if they want to stay in business,
maybe the only option...

Cheers,

feli