Subject: RE: RE[Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:53:08 +0200

>Now, it seems to me, one doesn't so
>much buy as lease a Leica, because eventually one will have no control
>over its disposition in the matter of repairs or customization.  I find
>this unappealing in the extreme, and should one wish to rebut that
these
>policies are standard among other high-end lines, then I answer that
>this merely gives me one less reason to look at Leica.
>
>Chandos

Chandos

Money is a limit for everybody of course! May be our spouses too! But
always is a matter of choice. Or, perhaps, of concentrating the gear.
The future, no doubt, is digital and Leica will be, too, digital with
the Leica R digital back. But in time? So the right choice in my opinion
is to remain with some film equipment, a M body and some lenses, and get
some DSLR. In the next months, very soon indeed, someone is going to
launch a digital SLR for less than 1.500 euros. Including a cheap
consumer zoom. Perfect for starting.Much better than those tiny captors
p&s digital toys.

And about service let me say that some timo ago I had a Nikon F4 with a
failure and the Nikon spanish service took 272 days, yes two hundred and
seventy days, for the repair. So don't think others are much better. And
when I give them my Nikon F Photomic for a checking the guy said  the
camera was wrong. Not at all only the batteries have died. Merely he
didn't know the camera. And in Canon field things are not better unless
you are member of CPS Canon professional service.

Keep using your Leicas, they are fine tools! But start with digital,
too.

Kind regards

Felix