Subject: [Leica] Was: MP's tp plate Now: Japanese made glass.
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:03:57 -0700

Mark Rabiner said:

>Zeiss glass made in Japan. Bad combination.

I can't speak for the Zeiss glass, but the Kyocera (who make those Zeiss
lenses) made Vario-Elmar 80~200/f4 has engraving everywhere and a build
quality that equals any Leitz or Leica glass I've ever owned.

It's also the best (sharpness/contrast) lens I've ever owned.

So Zeiss has allowed Kyocera to build cheapie Zeiss lenses.  Unfortunate.
But Kyocera can make lenses the equal of any, if the buyer is willing to
pay the price.  (Leica apparently are. Zeiss, apparently, are not.)

So, please, don't run down Japanese made glass.  Even the stuff designed
there can be pretty good!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Website at: www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Was: MP's tp plate Now: Japanese made glass.)