Subject: [Leica] Re: Kurt's PAW question, was Geebee's PAW (longish)
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:34:32 -0500

PAW = Picture A Week, a band of people who have devoted to actually taking
pictures with their cameras.

Kyle Cassidy asked the rhetorical question, if you are not actually shooting
pictures,  "Do I deserve this camera?," I had to wonder if he was speaking
thoughts that I was thinking. So I joined the  Picture-A-Week Project  to
find out.

As Steve U. says, we also are slaves to (sometimes printing,)  scanning,
and posting our pictures for others to see and perhaps comment on.  Some of
us have turned to digital to speed the process, but the challenge remains
the same.  Take at least one picture each week you are proud of, and post it
so the world can see.

It cannot be so hard to use the fraction of a second to take a picture;
After all, don't we have 604800 seconds a week to work with?  You'll learn a
lot If you join us.  One, it is difficult. Hard to take up the camera and
dedicate yourself to using it instead of just cleaning the lenses in front
of the telly.

Two, you must be brave.   Brave to shoot strangers, brave to show your work
on these forums.

Three, you must accept the deadline and do it, despite that sometimes you'll
get 600 page views of your shots, and not a single comment.   Often people
can't think of anything to say, or they are flabbergasted you would show
such dregs; sometimes they (as Johnny Deadman says, "draw the veil of
charity over the subject."

There are also those who resent that you would take up their bandwidth
actually posting photographs on this Leica forum.  After all, it is a list
about cameras, not photography! *sigh*

A list of people who take up this mad endeavor here:
http://www.jeffery-nola.com/links.html

A template for doing your own:
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/paw/

Regards,