Subject: Re: [Leica] Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:46:26 -0400

Hello Steve:
> ...yeah, but Seth, Roy was notoriously conservative in any tolerance
towards
> change with Leica models. Personnaly I have M2s, M3, M6TTLs and they are
> equally well made IMHO. Some people have complained that the M6 has some
> plastic parts compared to the M2/3/4 metal parts -- plastic? so what?
There
> are plastic parts on the space shuttle and the Corvette body is plastic.
>
> Regards,
>
> sl

Yeah but in his last VIEWFINDER article before his passing, Roy was
shockingly generous in his evaluation of the MP, not only in its return to
some of the iconic features of the earlier M cameras, chiefly M3, but in his
assessment of thefeeling that the camera represents a return to dedication
to the best available quality.

Some may deride allusion to the tactile sense of strength, of smoothness, of
quality, that oozed into the hands from the screw-mount and earlier M
cameras. But it is there and it is real. Here's Roy:

"The MP looks and feels like a professional camera and in my opinion is
definitely NOT simply a made-over M6 but a brand-new offering.........Using
the MP is a delight......It is a straightforward, intuitive all-mechanical
camera tha embodies what a Leica should be. It inspires
confidence........What really stands out is the beefier M<3 feel of the film
advance........I am told that the MP uses impvoed and heavier duty gears
than its predecssor with lkess pplastic in the internal parts and it feels
like it............The Leica MP seems to me to be a totally new camera that
looks and feels better than any previous Solms M camera that I have
handled."

If you went inside an M6 with Sherry, Don or John and compared it with an
M2, M3 or M4, you simply would not say that they were equally well-made.
Would you trade a plastic Corvette body shell for a steel or aluminum
Pininfarina body for a Ferrari? I certainly would not.

That said, my everday camera is an early classic Wetzlar M6 and since 1985
or 86 it has given me impeccable service with never a hiccup or need for
return to Northvale for repair.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Seth           LaK 9