Subject: Re: [Leica] Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:27:06 -0400

At 04:09 PM 7/28/03 -0500, Don R. wrote:
>One of the most glaring examples of Leica imprecision was the batch of
>defective M-6's that carried pressure plates that went through Leica without
>a hiccup and tore the heck out of the film in the hands of the user.  The
>M-6 I had put scratches on the film from one end tothe other. The Lecia
>story was quality control was down becasue the QC fellow was home ill.

QC/QA are not items I have addressed in this thread, Don R. (and just why
are you too embarrassed to give us your last name?).  I agree that whether
we are discussing M2 or M7, it is an abyssmal failure when QC/QA shortstops
fail.  (And, yes, there WERE similar incidents with earlier cameras:
Leitz/Leica has never been infallible.  Mighty Zeiss, and Rollei, and
Hasselblad, and many others have had similar woes.  Heck, Ford had to
recall ALL of their automatic transmission Taurus models made for the first
six or seven years of its life, even though it was the leader in sales.)

As to your other points, I would simply say that you are arguing that a
Model T is better designed than a modern automobile simply because it is
hand-built, and that is patently absurd on its face, as I am sure you realize.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (RE: [Leica] Marc Small's statement that M6 is best built M camera)