Subject: RE: [Leica] Bessa R2
From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:15:42 -0500

Hi Jim,

I have one that I've been using for the past 9 months or so.  I got it prior
to ever owning any Leica gear; I sold my Canon EOS gear when I was planning
a trip to Hawaii and wanted to travel lighter.  I have since bought a Leica
M4-2 from a member of this list, and the Bessa is my 2nd body.

When I opened up the box for the first time I laughed out loud; the
transition from an electronic body with a vertical grip and big lenses (like
an 80-200/2.8) to this tiny little camera was like driving an MG Midget when
used to an SUV.  But I like the feel of the body and its metal construction
(except for the rear door), and the change was delightful.

I had read so much about the silence of the Leica M bodies that I was
disappointed by the "cli-click" sound of the double metal copal shutters of
the Bessa R2.  It is louder than the Cannon A2E, really.  But that was a
small complaint.

Somebody mentions a "flareless" rangefinder patch, but I don't completely
agree.  Focusing with a strongly backlit subject does cause problems, but I
try to compensate by shading the rangefinder prism if possible.  I also find
it a bit difficult to focus a 90mm lens.  And if your eye isn't completely
centered you'll completely loose the split image effect.

When cutting negatives apart I notice that the images sometimes get
uncomfortably close to each other.  I'm not sure why the images wouldn't be
completely evenly spaced, but they aren't.  Some people on the CVUG email
list have reported overlapping images, but that has not happened to me yet.
To be fair, the Leica doesn't space the images completely evenly either.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the body and lenses, but it didn't satisfy
the "Leica lust."  I'm glad to have both.

Tom