Subject: RE: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:29:18 -0400

Doug, Gerry, Randy, David,
    Autofocus, autoexposure, high speed motor drives, etc. are camera
features. Talented photographers know how to use these features and not as a
crutch for lack of ability.
    Doing bird photography as Doug does so well, he doesn't need much
automation, just time.
    Change the situation to a baseball game (it's baseball season)as an
example, and things change. You can eke by with a single punch SL, and slow
lenses. But,  when things get hot and heavy, the single puncher loses......
    The home plate slide you just shot looked pretty good, but now the
player is flipped up in the air, and you are advancing film, while the guy
next to you is getting the picture. Or, the play moves from sunshine into
shade. While you are changing exposure, the guy with auto exposure is still
shooting pictures....
    In my opinion, today's Leica R system, is competitive with Canon or
Nikon, with the exception of autofocus. The 8-10 fps motor drives are rarely
that much of an advantage. Doing only, one or two sports assignments a year,
I haven't felt the need to change. However, if I had to earn the majority of
my income from sports photography, I would convert to an autofocus camera
system.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.