Subject: Re: [Leica] Re cropping dilema
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:29:33 -0700

No, it was coined in the 40s, by the dean of the journalism school at
the University of Missouri. I know one of the men who was in the room
at the time. Cliff Edom. Some say Cliff was the one who coined it, but
he told me that the dean was the one who has that honor.

But who is the one we remember? Cliff. The father of photojournalism
education. His students have shaped the direction of photojournalism to
a very large degree from the 40s on. A very large majority of National
Geographic photographers were his students, or his friends who helped
run the Missouri Photo Workshop, a.k.a. photojournalism boot camp.
Cliff has passed on, but his legacy will go on for generations.

And I can't mention Cliff without mentioning his backbone and memory -
Vi, his wife. She was very much a part of the education of many of
Cliff's students, and the Missouri program.

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:10  AM, tripspud wrote:

>        When HCB started photographing with the early Leica, the
> word 'photojournalist' was unknown.  I think the term was first
> used in the '50s.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never miss a good chance to shut up.  - Will Rogers.