Subject: [Leica] Re: RE. Digital Characteristic Curves
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:35:13 -0400

Hi to all,

Mark provide his data and I've looked at it and rescaled the data in a form
that is the same as that used in Zone system analysis. The big difference
between digital systems and film analysis is that the film information is
returned as DENSITY. To use Marks data (which was collected quite correctly)
to compare to a photographic system we must convert the digital values to a
VIRTUAL DENSITY VALUE.  Mark reflected his exposure, again, quite correctly,
as exposure shifts in f-stops.  If we wish to calculate a contrast index or
gamma from this data we must scale the f number shifts and convert  them
logrithmically as well.

To scale the digital values to form a virtual density using Excel we use the
following relationship

virtual density = -log10(nn/255)  where nn is the number we wish to scale
(assuming an 8 bit value)

to scale the fstop axis, as Mark has provided we use the following
relationship

log exposure = -log10(2^fshift / 2^maximum positive fshift)

The log exposure is the X axis of the characteristic curve
The virtual density is Y axis of the plot.

Now you have a plot that can be related in photgraphic terms to other
systems.
I will send a reduced spreadsheet and plot of the data Mark has posted here
to anyone who requests it.

here is the reduced data

      -5 5  2.40824 1.70757
      -4.5 6  2.257725 1.628389
      -4 9  2.10721 1.452298
      -3.5 13  1.956695 1.292597
      -3 20  1.80618 1.10551
      -2.5 24  1.655665 1.026329
      -2 32  1.50515 0.90139
      -1.5 43  1.354635 0.773072
      -1 56  1.20412 0.658352
      -0.5 78  1.053605 0.514446
      0 96  0.90309 0.424269
      0.5 128  0.752575 0.29933
      1 147  0.60206 0.239223
      1.5 177  0.451545 0.158567
      2 196  0.30103 0.114284
      2.5 231  0.150515 0.042928
      3 252  0 0.00514

The first two columns are the data as Mark sent. If you plot this data, you
will see a small shoulder, a rather short toe and a gradient of around .85
in the midtone region.  This is very agressive for display on a monitor, but
it mimics the gradient that you would get by scanning a transparency.  This
is not really optimimum at all.

The reason for my comment about archiving in NEF is that I honestly think
that Nikon understands that work will continuly improve in the color
management world.  Storage in Raw format will allow better algorithms to be
applied to the data AFTER capture.  Keep in mind that Nikon also allows
storage of NEF files from their scanner applications.  As our understanding
of the color science improves, we will be able to apply those advances to
archived images.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.- A GretagMacbeth Company
25 Nashua Rd.
Londonderry, NH 03053