Subject: [Leica] There Is More To Life Than Lens cleaning
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:03:40 -0400

Actually, I have taken some great pictures through remarkably filthy
glass and I consider lens cleaning to be pretty unimportant.  B.D. could
tell you how I apply the same maintenance principles to my car, too.

That said, however, if a lens really needs cleaning, I first blow or
brush off any grit.  Then I use a soft cotton cloth to wipe the lens.
If there is any stubborn spot, such as a finger print, I breathe on the
lens to deposit a bit of condensation and wipe again.  I have never put
a cleaning mark or scratch on any lens, though all of my lenses date
from at least 1985 and I can't say how this method will work on older
coatings.  Modern coatings are amazingly tough.  My cloth of choice is a
rag from an old cotton dress shirt which has worn through at the elbows
or become completely frayed at the cuffs or collar.  Ted Grant and
others prefer ancient undergarments.  You be the judge.

	Buzz Hausner